Juneau residents have studied the development of an arts center for over 40 years; a feasibility study was completed by Sheinberg and Associates in 2008. Also in 2008, the update to the CBJ Comprehensive Plan included the following implementing action: 15.1.IA2 Promote the development of a Juneau Performing Arts Center in Downtown Juneau to provide venues for live performances, visual arts, receptions, public meetings, and convention-related presentations.
In 2014, JAHC and Perseverance Theater formed a non-profit, obtained external funding and commissioned a feasibility study for a new arts and culture facility. In 2015, as the sole sponsor of the project, the JAHC Board joined with a robust group of supporters including arts organizations, educators, cultural organizations, patrons and arts appreciators (the Partnership Board) to advance the project. McDowell Group completed an economic feasibility study establishing that this is a viable, sustainable project for Juneau and updated it in 2016.
- Local arts organizations and community user groups
- Local businesses and service providers
- A diverse group of local residents, both as donors and volunteers
- Community leaders
- Local trade unions
- The City and Borough of Juneau
- The Juneau Community Foundation
- Sealaska Heritage Institute
- Central Council Tlingit Haida Indian Tribes of Alaska
- Juneau Economic Development Council